Albany Community Police Review Board
Community Police Review Board - City of Albany Logo

How to File a Complaint

How do I file a complaint?

Fill out an Albany Community Police Complaint Form. You may file a complaint in person, online (below), or by mail with the CPRB. Complaint forms must be signed by the complainant and can be dropped off at the CPRB’s office. Complainants may also email signed complaints to [email protected].  (Download the Complaint Form below in English or Spanish).

Where do I get a complaint form?

You may download a copy of the complaint form from this site or obtain one at any of the following locations:

Albany City Clerk’s Office City Hall, Room 202
Albany, NY 12207 
Phone: (518) 434-5090

Albany Citizens Council on Alcoholism and Other Addictions
3 City Square Plaza
Albany, NY 12207 
Phone: (518) 434-2367

Albany Community Development Agency*
200 Henry Johnson Blvd., 2nd Fl. Suite #1
Albany, NY 12210 
Phone: (518) 434-5240

Albany Housing Authority*
200 South Pearl St.
Albany, NY 12202 
Phone: (518) 641-7500   

Albany Public Library (all branches). Click here for branch locations.

Capital Area Council of Churches Emergency Overflow Shelter
646 State St.
Albany, NY 12203 
Phone: (518) 426-1227

Capital District Gay & Lesbian Community Council*
332 Hudson Ave.
Albany, NY 12210
Phone: (518) 462-6138     

Center for Law & Justice, Inc.*
153 South Pearl Street, 2nd Fl.
Albany, NY 12202 
Phone: (518) 427-8361

Government Law Center of Albany Law School 
2 Notre Dame Dr.
Albany, NY 12208 
Phone: (518) 445-2329      

New York Civil Liberties Union*
90 State St., Suite 518
Albany, NY 12207 
Phone: (518) 436-8594 

Albany Police Department’s Office of Professional Standards*
200 Henry Johnson Blvd.
Albany, NY 12210 
Phone: (518) 462-8017

Albany Police Department–Center Station 
536 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203
Phone: (518) 458-5660

Albany Police Department–North  Station 
170 Henry Johnson Blvd.
Albany, NY 12210 
Phone: (518) 462-8684

Albany Police Department–South Station 
126 Arch St.
Albany, NY 12202 
Phone: (518) 462-8050

Albany Police Department–West Station 
223 Washington Ave. Ext.
Albany, NY 12205
Phone: (518) 458-9148

University at Albany, Educational Opportunities Program (EOP) 
1200 Washington Ave., LI94
Albany, NY 12222 
Phone: (518) 442-5180​

Some Area Churches ( Please contact the CPRB for more information)

Who can help me fill it out?

The above organizations with an asterisk (*) have agreed to provide assistance with filling out complaint forms.

How will I know if the CPRB receive my complaint?

You will receive a letter in the mail from the Board notifying you that your complaint has been received.

What happens after I file a complaint?

You will receive a letter from the CPRB notifying you that your complaint has been received.

The Office of Professional Standards (OPS) will: 

  • conduct an immediate investigation of the complaint; 
  • submit its preliminary findings to the CPRB for review.

The CPRB will:

  • review a copy of your complaint;  
  • appoint an independent monitor to observe the OPS’ investigation in cases where there is an allegation of excessive use of force or violation of civil rights;
  • upon receipt of the OPS’ preliminary report, appoint a Board member serving on the Complaint Review Committee to review the OPS’ investigation of the complaint and prepare to present the complaint at a monthly meeting of the Board;
  • schedule the complaint for review at a regular monthly meeting of the Board;
  • present the complaint and review the preliminary findings of the OPS and: 
  • render its own finding and notify you, the Police Chief, and the affected officer(s); 
  • may request that the OPS conduct further investigation of the complaint; 
  • may obtain further case-specific information from the Police Chief; or 
  • may refer the complaint to mediation.
How will I know when my complaint is being reviewed?

You will receive a letter from the CPRB, notifying you that the Board will be reviewing your complaint.  In the letter, you will be provided with the date, time, and location of the monthly meeting in which your complaint is scheduled to be reviewed, and you will be given an opportunity to attend the meeting and to listen to the presentation and review of your complaint.

Who makes the final decision?

The Police Chief will review the Department’s preliminary report in light of the CPRB’s finding and make a final determination, notifying you, the affected officer(s) and the Board.